I love travelling and probably you also do, as you’re reading my blog right now! We always imagine how wonderful, relaxing and uncomplicated travelling is! Sunny weather, delicious food, chilling on the beach, and cool things to do. But we, the travellers, also know that travelling is sometimes challenging, especially when things do go wrong at the airport.
Travelling can be a hassle even when you are best prepared and have the master plan! We all end up with spending a lot of our holiday time at the airport waiting for something! That is the point where dream holidays can become a nightmare!
There are a lot of reasons why we are spending that much time at the airports: flight cancellations or delays, missed flights, or even waiting for your luggage to arrive at baggage claim. And to be honest – most of the time you can do anything to avoid ruining your travel plans!
There are many reasons why the flights get delayed or even cancelled and that is often out of your control. Some of the reasons are bad weather conditions (storms, strong winds, volcano eruption, etc.), the aircraft arrives too late, some mechanical issues, or the flight is cancelled due to a strike (this happens very often in Germany and France).
The best way to deal with the situation is to stay positive and think rational. I’ve got a few tips to help you deal with the delays which also can make all the difference when travelling! Sometimes a delay or cancellation can even benefit you!
No one likes being delayed, but it happens all the time! Here are my tips on what to do if your flight is delayed and how to get the best out of it:
- Buy Travel Insurance – yes, I know, it may sound easy but there are a lot of people who travel without Insurance. And no, these are not the smartest travellers! A good travel insurance could save you a lot of money: delays, cancellations, lost luggage, health-related issues, rental or even hi-jacking issues! Sometimes a good credit card with travel insurance could also save your holidays! So make sure you have a travel insurance and you know what it covers in case of emergency.
- Make sure you know your Rights! If you believe me or not, you can even make some money for your next trip out of your cancellation or delay! For example, if your airline did not inform you about the flight cancellation 2 Weeks prior to taking off, the compensation amount would be between € 250 and € 600 per person (find more information about flight cancellation at FlightRight)!
- Even if your flight is not cancelled but “only” delayed your compensation after 3 or more hours delay could be between € 250 and € 600 (find more information about flight delay at FlightRight)!
- Since 2005, thanks to the EU Air Passenger Rights Regulation travellers receive a compensation in case of missed connection due to delay! This compensation is between € 250 and € 600 per person if you arrive 3 hours late at your final destination (find more information about Missed Connections Due to Delay at FlightRight)
So your flight has been cancelled or delayed? After you make sure to register your flight for compensation at FlightRight, figure out what will happen to your next flight! Sign up for Airline Flight Status Notifications and if you have more than 5 hours to spend waiting at the airport, you can even take the metro or a taxi and go for shipping or sightseeing!
But what to do if you have less than 5 hours? Here are my airport tips:
- Sign up for Airline Flight Status Notifications: sign up for notifications by flight numbers on the airline’s homepage. By doing so, you will always know where your flight is.
- Charge your phone at a power-source inside of the airport while waiting for your flight! Especially if you have a connecting flight that you’re probably going to miss, it is difficult to know when you are going to have this opportunity again!
- Head to an airport bookstore and buy a book or magazine and learn something new!
- Airport shopping – you can even get a professional make up made by a makeup artist for free!
- Do some work – you can answer all the E-Mails and private messages; prepare your homework or presentation; delete old photos, downloads and files and make room for new ones!
- Call your friends and family! Or text someone you haven’t spoken to for a while …
- Clean out your wallet and handbag!
- (for bloggers) Write a blog post about your delay and share experience on social media.
- Find a cosy place and turn it into a bed or just do some stretches!
- If you have free Wi-Fi or 3G – Netflix, Spotify, or Audible will be your best friends!
- Grab something to eat! … or to drink 😉
Do you have any tips to share with us?! Please feel free to leave them in the comments!
Enjoy your day!
After the days spent in Ubud, we were heading to the north of Bali. We had booked a nice sea-view
The year of 2017 was holy kind to me by giving me the opportunity to visit many places that have
Pura Tanah Lot is an ancient Hindu Temple from the 15th century. The temple is actually a large
The weather on the second day of Bratislava weekend was not our best friend at all - it was cold,